- Dusty Springfield - Son of a Preacher Man. That hair, that dress and a song dripping in soul. Beyond stylish.
- Jimi Hendrix - Foxy Lady. Oh this man, this man. What. A. God.
- Madonna - Express Yourself. Like her, loather her. You gotta hand it to the woman, she's got chutzpah by the bucket.
- The Rolling Stones - Wild Horses. For a start there's Mick, who back in the day was one hot rock god and let's not forget Keith - a man who is slowly evolving into a walking privet hedge. Amazing.
- Kraftwerk - The Robots. C'mon people they're German electro minimalists.
- Beyoncé - Why don't you love me? The video for this song is solely responsible for the look I shall be working this summer. It's merely a bonus that I'm already a martini drinking hot mess.
- Diana Ross - Chain Reaction. The woman's clearly batshit crazy, but she owned the '60's with the Supremes and she's nailing '80's decadence with white fur, shoulder pads and a alarming amount of sequins. I love it.
- Louis Armstrong - Hello Dolly. A bow tie. A nice suit. A proper shirt with cufflinks. A handkerchief in his breast pocket. Lovely. This is what I call dressing for dinner.
- Michael Jackson - Smooth Criminal . Screw Thriller, this video is so stylish it actually hurts. Prohibition era bar, white suits, fedoras, and that leaning dance move.
- Snoop Dogg - Drop it Like it's Hot . This video is smokin' and in Snoop's case, quite literally.
Sunday, 23 May 2010
Playlist: Artists with Style Chutzpah
Sometimes you just gotta give props to those who not only write a banging tune, but also to those who wouldn't bat an eyelash at the concept of wearing paisley, or indeed a conical bra.